December 1, 2014
OTR – Episode 18 – MallPlasty Bay
On today’s episode Viktor, Bob and Ken talk about all the recent news and rumors including that amazing new Jurassic World trailer, a new coaster possibly coming to Fun Spot, the Great Movie Ride’s new sponsor, those Avatar aerial shots that ThemeParx posted, #OtterGate at BGT, and One Daytona.
Then Ken and Kyle are joined by Mark of Orlando Mall Guide and Jason of Orlando Fun and Food for a detailed discussion on the future of retail in the tourist district with an extended focus on the brand new Artegon Marketplace that recently opened. Jason shares insights into what he sees as the future of Pointe Orlando being while Mark talks about the new megamall and its impact on the tourist district. American Girl’s new store, Hooters and I-Drive 360’s new Irish pub McFadden’s are all brought up as well.
The conversation ends with a quick discussion on the very latest regarding the Magnet Levitation train proposal with Ken giving details of why he thinks it might be extended to all the way to Universal Studios.
Episode Producer- Ken & Bob
Recorded- News Segment – Nov 30, 2014 | Interview Segment – Nov 22, 2014
– Show Notes –
- Opening and Transition Audio
- Jurassic World trailer debuts. Plenty of goodies for theme park fans including; RFID bracelets, monorail, gyroscope pod ride, SeaWorld style animal show, CityWalk style retail Main Street (with Oakley & Margaritaville), a 5-Star Hilton hotel, and even an overpriced steak house! How much of this will we see coming to UOR?
- Laser Fury 360 – Gyroscope bumper cars
- Screamscape is reporting Fun Spot might be getting a Chance Rides Hyper GT-X coaster
- Kentucky Kingdom’s Lighting Run POV
- Honolulu Hot Dog at Fun Spot
- The Boathouse at Disney Springs going to Shanghai also
- GMR saved by Turner Classic Movies but the hat wasn’t
- Dr Phillips Center signage plan
- Pandora at DAK fly over construction pics
- Frozen 2 coming in 2018. Is Frozen overkill a reality now?
- One Daytona complex breaks ground. Will this be enough to draw tourist back to ‘The World’s Most Famous Beach?’ Marriott Autograph Hotel coming to 1D.
- Daytona Beach SunRail Proposal
- Hard Rock Hotel & Café also coming to Daytona.
- Casino proposal for One Daytona
- Run for the Wildlife 5K took place 11/22
- Dawn Brancheau Big 5K at SWO
- African Penguins now in their new home. How are people receiving the new exhibit?
- Central Florida Top 5’s SeaWorld coverage | BGT coverage
- SEAS saves 72 Sea turtles
- SWO hosts High School Journalism Day Dec 10
- Worker rescued from The Orlando Eye
- Screamscape is reporting Skyplex may also feature SkyWalk and SkyJump attractions.
- Flea World in Sanford may close at end of 2015. Is I-Drive’s Artegon the new go to flea market for the region?
- Festival Bay Mall opened 2002
Interview with Mark and Jason-
- Starflyer at Vue at 360
- Artegon Marketplace
- Artegon Marketplace Grand Opening on Nov 20
- 40% of the U.S. workforce to be freelancers by 2020
- The Daily City’s Farmers Market Guide
- Orlando Mall Guide’s Gods & Monsters Interview Part 1 | Part 2
- Artegon Marketplace Grand Opening Car Show
- OTR tweet about Artegon’s new trampoline park | OBJ confirmed it
- Itta Bena & Lafayettes Orlando coming to Pointe Orlando
- Blue Martini is moving to Pointe Orlando
- Skyscraper at Skyplex
- I-Drive 360 will feature free parking
- Orlando Mall Guide’s coverage of American Girl
- Crayola Experience at The Florida Mall
- Florida Mall planning new Dining Pavilion
- Lord & Taylor closed in 06, H&M opened in the same spot in 09
- Dylan’s Candy Bar
- WB Store (If anyone has pics of the old Florida Mall WB store we’d love to see them. Please email them to Info@OrlandoTourismReport.com)
- Parking study in Winter Park
- McFaddens Irish Pub
- Senior Frogs free shuttle service
- OTR Ep 11 – Interview with John Stine, Director of Marketing & Sales at I-Drive 360 and Unicorp National Developments
- Hooters closed Pointe Orlando location, opened stand-alone nearby
- Orlando’s first megamall – iSquare Mall
- Element Hotel coming to Orlando Fashion Sq Mall
- 4 Seasons Orlando is Orlando’s first 5 Star hotel
- A sky-bridge is proposed linking to Pointe Orlando
- Maglev proposal | 2011 FDOT plans
- FDOT gave Maglev ROW in May, 2014
- Closing Song