November 12, 2014
OTR – Ep 17 – The Countdown is On
We’re back with another episode of our hospitality podcast. This week the guys are getting ready for next week’s massive IAAPA convention that’s coming to town.
The OTR crew gets ready for IAAPA with a round-up of all the recent news including: #OtterGate, Construction at SEAS parks, Downtown Disney, Flamingo Crossing, I-Square, I-Drive 360. Kyle’s wardrobe choices are questioned, Ken calls 80% of IAAPA monotonous and then the guys get confused talking about Christmas at the Magic Kingdom.
Episode Producer- Bob
Recorded- November 9th, 2014
- Opening Song
- BGT- The Otter cage controversy
- Viktor confirms the rumors that BGT is getting a permanent African penguin exhibit.
- VIDEO- Otters go after Gibbon
- Critter Castaways demo pics from Bob’s Twitter
- Former Otter habitat via Bob’s Twitter
- 1989 article from the Ocala Star-Banner about the BGT koalas
- Will BGT’s Egypt get a dark ride?
- BGT construction update from BGT Fans
- Blue World Project
- Bob hints at another new animal habitat at SWO
- The Aquatica plot
- SEAS Financial Report (Note 2016 and 2017 debt)
- SEAS receiving the “2014 Visionary Leadership Award”
- Blackstone’s global real estate fund (no mention of Hilton that Kyle referenced)
- New Hyatt hotel coming to Palm Parkway
- High-end headphone shop Sound Lion confirmed for Disney Springs. Are expensive headphones the answer?
- Phase 1 of first Disney Springs parking garage opening on Nov 20. – Too little too late or good sign of things to come?
- Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts opens in downtown. – Will this new center convince more tourist to leave the tourist district?
- Kyle Recommends – Talking to Seth about the local arts scene
- Ken – “I wouldn’t be surprised to see a concerted effort to bring a week or month long event to Central Florida to celebrate local arts and to bring in outside arts into the community.”
- Tourist taxes up 8% over last year, September alone up 17% – Will we see the extra funds going to new projects? Safety, local museums, convention center project, etc?
- Forbes 2014 Top 10 Cities and States for Job Growth
- Travel Weekly article on if Orange County’s tourist tax should go to safety measures
- October 28 shooting on I-Drive
- I-Square Megamall releases new renderings, announces Spa management
- Mandarin Oriental Miami
- Ken references I-Square’s borrowed images
- Kyle says his friend called north I-Drive a crappy beach town with no beach. OUCH!
- Ken references the supposed World’s Largest McDonalds that he keeps thinking is coming
- Pedestrian Bridge over SLR
- Bob’s twitter coverage of the new SLR/I-Drive Walgreens
- Orlando Crossing plaza remodel (or as Ken calls it- The Del Taco Plaza)
- Bob- “Recently many of us have been sent some embargoed press releases. It’s great for us, we get the information early to get it written and get it out on time. We’re given a heads up. Unfortunately some of the outlets out there, and they know who they are, have been taking these embargoed releases and releasing them immediately… In the long run that just hurt us all.”
- Ken- “The business suit of Orlando is a polo.”
- Kyle’s outfit for the Nick Hotel breakfast
- Ken on IAAPA – “20% of mind blowing stuff and 80% of it is just monotonous.”
- IAAPA 2014 Schedule of Events | Wanda is title sponsor of The IAAPA Theater
- New mystery attraction at I-Drive 360?
- Since the recording yet another mystery attraction has been announced for I-Drive 360
- I-Drive 360
- Virtual tour with up-close look at the gondola position Bob was talking about
- Work on the outer wheel has begun. This thing is HUGE!
- Madame Tussauds has confirmed Ricky Martin and Selena Gomez
- Tin Roof has released new info. Are you MORE or LESS excited about it now?
- The guys all seem to now think Skyplex is happening.
- Mango’s new 2015 signage
- Lawsuit between Golden Corral and Mango’s
- Tin Roof announcement for I-Drive 360
- Twin Peaks International Drive
- Blue Martini moving to Pointe Orlando
- B Hotel
- Aloft looking for I-Drive location
- What will Flamingo Crossing really feature?
- Disney purchases Mira Lago property, proposes mitigation deal.
- Disney Dish with Jim Hill Ep 66
- TWDC reports theme park division had $3.96 billion revenue in 4th quarter, 7% over last year, with record attendance at WDW ($15.1 billion for full year)
- Star Wars VII has official name- The Force Awakens. – Does movement on the movie point to movement on the land soon enough?
- Toy Story 4 announced, Lasseter to direct. – Is this a good sign for DHS?
- MiceChat look at DHS
- Skeletons Orlando (note the human skeleton in the window)
- Anything announced for NASCAR Café yet?
- Permits have been pulled for Gardens of Allah (Parkscope spotted them). BLD2014-08668 calls for “all interior demolition, demolition of exterior stairs, demolition of the breezeway, demolition of the site pavers and demolition of the storm water” Is the museum coming in time for the 25th Anniversary?
- Magic Kingdom 2014 Holiday decorations video
- Frozen Holiday Wish 2014 video
- Zoo Boo at Lowry Park Zoo
- Closing Song